- shared on September 14, 2018
- 148 views
How important is SB100, California's new energy bill that calls for eliminating all carbon emissions from its economy by 2045? Nonprofit group Third Way calculated that emission reductions will more than double for California by implementing SB 100. Removing emissions from California's power sector means 84 million tons of CO2 will be eliminated from its economy. Through carbon reductions in other sectors such as transportation, space heating, and water heating, that total will nudge up to 91 million metric tons. But those figures still represent only 40% of overall emissions for California. " Even if SB100 enables the elimination of 40% of total emissions, California will still have to address another 40% of emissions in order to meet its 80% by 2050 goal. And with Gov. Brown’s new executive order (B-55-18) calling for full carbon neutrality by 2045, any remaining emissions after 2045 will need to be offset by carbon dioxide removal. California has given itself an immense challenge. But it’s also demonstrating a willingness to adopt equally immense solutions," the authors write.